What is infrared light?
Infrared light is an invisible part of the spectrum of sunlight . and, together with visible red light, accounts for about 50% of the sun's radiant energy . Due to its special wavelengths , it influences life on our planet. This process is inescapably important for the health and growth of humans, animals and plants .
How does infrared light affect our body?
When infrared radiation hits tissue, molecules vibrate . Due to the generated heat, there is an inevitable rise in temperature. Infrared radiation can promote local blood circulation while reducing muscle tension . Infrared radiation is traditionally used in medicine, among other things, to relieve muscle pain and tension , as well as to treat autoimmune diseases or wound healing disorders .
Infrared light is used therapeutically:
- Reduces edema, inflammation and chronic joint diseases.
- promotes the healing of wounds in deeper tissues and nerves
- for pain, tension and neurological disorders.
- Heavy metal detoxification, eliminates viruses and bacteria.
- preventively, infrared light strengthens the immune system.
26 studies prove noticeable effects of infrared light
Tafur, J., & Mills, PJ (2008). Low-intensity light therapy: exploring the role of redox mechanisms. Photomedicine and laser surgery, 26(4), 323-328. https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2019.01.43
Chung H, Dai T, Sharma SK et al. The Nuts and Bolts of Low-level Laser (Light) Therapy. Ann Biomed Eng 40, 516-533 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439-011-0454-7
- Hsu, WL, & Yoshioka, T. (2015). Role of TRP channels in the induction of heat shock proteins (Hsps) by heating skin. Biophysics (Nagoya-shi, Japan), 11, 25-32. https://doi.org/10.2142/biophysics.11.25
- Hamblin MR (2017). Mechanisms and applications of the anti-inflammatory effects of photobiomodulation. AIMS biophysics, 4(3), 337-361. https://doi.org/10.3934/biophy.2017.3.337
- Matsushita K, Masuda A, & Tei C (2008). Efficacy of Waon therapy for fibromyalgia. Internal medicine (Tokyo, Japan), 47(16), 1473-1476. https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.47.1054
- Li K, Zhang Z, Liu NF, Feng SQ, Tong Y, Zhang JF, Constantinides J, Lazzeri D, Grassetti L, Nicoli F, & Zhang, YX (2017). Efficacy and safety of far infrared radiation in lymphedema treatment: clinical evaluation and laboratory analysis. Lasers in medical science, 32(3), 485-494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-016-2135-0
- Maiello M, Losiewicz OM, Bui E, Spera V, Hamblin MR, Marques L, & Cassano P (2019). Transcranial Photobiomodulation with Near-Infrared Light for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: A Pilot Study. Photobiomodulation, photomedicine, and laser surgery, 37(10), 644-650. https://doi.org/10.1089/photob.2019.4677
- Podstawski R, Borysławski K, Clark C, Choszcz D, Finn KJ, & Gronek P (2019). Correlations between Repeated Use of Dry Sauna for 4 x 10 Minutes, Physiological Parameters, Anthropometric Features, and Body Composition in Young Sedentary and Overweight Men: Health Implications. BioMed research international, 2019, 7535140. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/7535140
- Beever R (2009). Far-infrared saunas for treatment of cardiovascular risk factors: summary of published evidence. Canadian family physician Medecin de famille canadien, 55(7), 691-696.
- Hwang SG, Hong JK, Sharma A, Pollack GH, & Bahng G (2018). Exclusion zone and heterogeneous water structure at ambient temperature. PloS one, 13(4), e0195057. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0195057
- Laukkanen T, Khan H, Zaccardi F, & Laukkanen JA (2015). Association between sauna bathing and fatal cardiovascular and all-cause mortality events. JAMA internal medicine, 175(4), 542-548. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.8187
- Sears, ME, Kerr, KJ, & Bray, RI (2012). Arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury in sweat: a systematic review. Journal of environmental and public health, 2012, 184745. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/184745
- Avni D, Levkovitz S, Maltz L, & Oron U (2005). Protection of skeletal muscles from ischemic injury: low-level laser therapy increases antioxidant activity. Photomedicine and laser surgery, 23(3), 273-277. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2005.23.273
- Selsby JT, Rother S, Tsuda S, Pracash O, Quindry J, & Dodd SL (2007). Intermittent hyperthermia enhances skeletal muscle regrowth and attenuates oxidative damage following reloading. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md.: 1985), 102(4), 1702-1707. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00722.2006
- Morita, T., & Tokura, H. (1996). Effects of lights of different color temperature on the nocturnal changes in core temperature and melatonin in humans. Applied human science : journal of physiological anthropology, 15(5), 243-246. https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa.15.243
- Scoon, GS, Hopkins, WG, Mayhew, S, & Cotter, JD (2007). Effect of post-exercise sauna bathing on the endurance performance of competitive male runners. Journal of science and medicine in sport, 10(4), 259-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2006.06.009
- Tadakuma T. (1993). Possible application of the laser in immunobiology. The Keio journal of medicine, 42(4), 180-182. https://doi.org/10.2302/kjm.42.180
- Bornstein E, Hermans W, Gridley S, & Manni J (2009). Near-infrared photoinactivation of bacteria and fungi at physiologic temperatures. Photochemistry and photobiology, 85(6), 1364-1374. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2009.00615.x
- Hiroshi Ohko, Yasunori Umemoto, Yuta Sakurai, Shouhei Araki, Daisuke Kojima, Yoshiichiro Kamijo, Kota Murai, Yoshinori Yasuoka & Fumihiro Tajima (2021) The effects of endurance exercise combined with high-temperature head-out water immersion on serum concentration of brain- derived neurotrophic factor in healthy young men, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 38:1, 1077-1085, DOI: 10.1080/02656736.2021.1922761
- Barolet, D., Christiaens, F., & Hamblin, MR (2016). Infrared and skin: Friend or foe. Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 155, 78-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2015.12.014
- Alfredo PP, Bjordal JM, Dreyer SH, Meneses SR, Zaguetti G, Ovanessian V, Fukuda TY, Junior WS, Lopes Martins RA, Casarotto RA, & Marques AP (2012). Efficacy of low level laser therapy associated with exercises in knee osteoarthritis: a randomized double-blind study. Clinical rehabilitation, 26(6), 523-533. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215511425962
- Gale, GD, Rothbart, PJ, & Li, Y (2006). Infrared therapy for chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial. Pain research & management, 11(3), 193-196. https://doi.org/10.1155/2006/876920
- Höfling, DB, Chavantes, MC, Juliano, AG, Cerri, GG, Knobel, M, Yoshimura, EM, & Chammas, MC (2013). Low-level laser in the treatment of patients with hypothyroidism induced by chronic autoimmune thyroiditis: a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Lasers in medical science, 28(3), 743-753. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-012-1129-9
- Yeste M, Codony F, Estrada E, Lleonart M, Balash S, Peña A, Bonet S, & Rodríguez-Gil JE (2016). Specific LED-based red light photo-stimulation procedures improve overall sperm function and reproductive performance of boar ejaculates. Scientific reports, 6, 22569. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep22569
- Wunsch, A., & Matuschka, K. (2014). A controlled trial to determine the efficacy of red and near-infrared light treatment in patient satisfaction, reduction of fine lines, wrinkles, skin roughness, and intradermal collagen density increase. Photomedicine and laser surgery, 32(2), 93-100. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2013.3616
- Vatansever, F., & Hamblin, MR (2012). Far infrared radiation (FIR): its biological effects and medical applications. Photonics & lasers in medicine, 4, 255-266. https://doi.org/10.1515/plm-2012-0034
In this video, infrared therapy is explained again.
- https://www.bfs.de/DE/themen/opt/application-medicine-wellness/infrarot/infrarot.html#:~:text=Infrared%2Dradiation%20can%20the%20local,%20autoimmune%20or%20diseases %20Wound healing disorders%C3%B6rments .
Tafur, J., & Mills, PJ (2008). Low-intensity light therapy: exploring the role of redox mechanisms. Photomedicine and laser surgery, 26(4), 323-328. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2007.2184